- 1 ChaosVPN 1.0
- 2 ChaosVPN 2.0
At the moment the Hamburg ccc Erfa uses TINC together with some dirty perl-scripts, which are used to read the routes and peers.
Beginninig in 2003
(haegar:) For me the whole setup with Openvpn was to complicated. It would take some time till its done and the scaling problems were forseable.
Therefore i took time today to get a working mini-solution with tinc running real quick.
The bigger issues with ip-submission and database are able to be added later without any big effort.
Most importand design goals were:
- data traffic between participants must not rely on the ccc infrastructure.
- failure of any parts of the infrastructure must not shut down the network completely
- no work needed for participants just because a new participant is joining or a old one quitting.
- linux only first
- tinc is availible for nearly all unix variants and windows, but my perl script is only working on linux so far.
- perl with LWP and https support
- working dyndns hostname that conains the actual router-ip or static ip
Today (2006) i would implement things different than i did before, but when this happens is completely up in the stars. Until there is a better setup we will use the old setup.
The Rebuild of the ChaosVPN became nessesary at some point, as the vermittlung is blackholed. Furthermore we would like to put live back to the ChaosVPN and use it to interconnect the hackerspaces.
So we thought its a good time to redesign stuff. We will climb up to tinc 1.0.10.
Currently we are porting haegars script from perl to c and strip off curl and openssl, so it fits in a OpenWRT box.
Blogic will build a special OpenWRT package, which is called chaosvpn at the moment and a recent tinc 1.0.10 for that.
Haegar updated (backported) tinc 1.0.10 packages for debian. They are availible at:
- Debian Etch: http://debian.sdinet.de/etch/sdinet/tinc/
- Debian Lenny: http://debian.sdinet.de/lenny/sdinet/tinc/
I will also create Debian packages of the config builder once it is in a usable state.
The scripts are availible at: http://github.com/ryd/chaosvpn
ccchh - Hamburg
nycresistor - New York
- connector: User:openfly ( matt [at] nycresistor.com )
- url: http://www.nycresistor.com
- network Wiki: http://wiki.nycresistor.com/wiki/ResistorNET
noisebridge - San Francisco
- connector: aestetix
- url: https://www.noisebridge.net
- network setup: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network
PS:one - Chicago
- connector: tcrown
- url: http://pumpingstationone.org/
- (in chaosvpn 1.0)
- (in chaosvpn 1.0)